- Last Updated on Friday, 04 October 2013 19:20
National Conference of Governor's Schools Biennial Retreat
Fargo, North Dakota
Thursday, October 9 - Sunday, October 12
Theme: "National Concerns, Local Issues"
On or before September 16:
$195 (includes $75 annual dues)
After September 16:
$205 (includes $75 annual dues)
- On or before September 16:
Registration Form - Word
Mr. Lonnie Hass
North Dakota State University
Fargo, ND 58105-5075
- Mailing Address
Who Should Attend
- Board representatives to the Board of Directors from each state.
- Any member interested in defining the future focus of the National Conference of Governor's Schools .
- Members ready to work! This is a working retreat, focused on accomplishing specific tasks for the organization.
Transportation & Accommodations
Conference Hotel: Wingate Inn, Fargo, ND: www.the.wingateinns.com/fargo11885
A block of rooms is reserved at the Wingate Hotel at a rate of $71.00 per night. The room block will be held until Thursday, September 18, 2003, after which the rooms will be released. Contact the hotel directly (701-281-9133) and mention the National Governor's School Conference to guarantee your room rate in the reserved conference block. Do not make reservations online or using the toll-free national reservation system.
- Oversized rooms
- Free in-room high-speed data hookups
- Free business center, including printing, faxing, copying, and computer use
- Complimentary deluxe continental breakfast
- Complimentary appetizers daily 5-7 PM
- Several nearby restaurants and taverns
- Fitness room, indoor pool and hot tub
- Shuttle from and to the airport
Arriving Airport: Hector Int'l Airport, Fargo, ND (FAR): www.fargoairport.com/
- Request shuttle upon arrival using the Wingate courtesy phone at airport baggage claim
- Airlines Serving Fargo
Thursday, October 9, 2003
- 1-4 PM Registration at Wingate Hotel
- 5 PM Wine and cheese reception
- 6 PM Heritage Hjemkomst Interpretive Center - catered meal and museum tour
Friday, October 10, 2003
- Registration at NDSU and Wingate Hotel
- 8 AM Continental breakfast at Wingate
- 9 AM Morning meetings at the NDSU Memorial Union
- 12 Noon Lunch at Memorial Union
- 1-5 PM Afternoon meetings at the NDSU Memorial Union
- 5 PM Dinner at Memorial Union
- 7 PM Tour of the Fargo Air Museum
Saturday, October 11, 2003
- 8 AM Continental breakfast at Wingate
- 9AM Morning meetings at the NDSU Memorial Union or Wingate
- Noon-4 PM Catered lunch and tour of Bonanzaville
- 5 PM Dinner on the town
Sunday, October 12, 2003
- 9AM Continental breakfast at Wingate
- Participants depart
- Three working sessions focused on our theme, "National Concerns, Local Issues"
- Informal "Reports from the States"
Catered dinner and tour of Heritage Hjemkomst Interpretive Center: www.hjemkomst-center.com
- "A Thursday evening dinner and tour is planned for the Heritage Hjemkomst Interpretive Center. The Center seeks to inspire visitors to 'Dare to Dream' through permanent exhibits of the Hjemkomst Viking Ship and the Norwegian Stave Church and celebrates the life, culture and heritage of the Red River Valley by paying tribute to the pioneer spirit of our earliest settlers."
- "Photographs, recordings and an award-winning documentary chronicle the construction of the 76-foot, hand-built Viking ship Hjemkomst, and its incredible 6,000-mile voyage across the Atlantic in 1982."
- Tour of the new Fargo Air Museum: www.fargoairmuseum.org
Catered lunch at Bonanzaville: www.bonanzaville.com
- "A tour of historic Bonanzaville and lunch are planned for Saturday afternoon. Bonanzaville USA recreates the magnificent history of the region using more then 400,000 documented and treasured artifacts indigenous to the upper Midwest arranged throughout 40 buildings and spread over 15 acres. Many of the houses and shops are historically significant and were laboriously moved to Bonanzaville from surrounding cities. Plan to wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather as your enjoy the afternoon at Bonanzaville."
- Sessions at conference hotel and featuring NDSU, site of North Dakota Governor's School: www.ndsu.edu
From the Executive Committee
From Bob Seney, Secretary and Director, Mississippi Governor's School
"We are truly excited about going to Fargo, North Dakota, for our Biennial Retreat. At our site visit in January (that's right, January -- the mercury managed minus 10 degrees! See how dedicated your officers are?), we were really impressed with the city, the University, and the facilities for our meetings. Lonnie Hass has done a great job in pre-planning and the 'extras' that he is implementing are great. Just wait until you see the Viking ship! Make your plans now. This is one meeting that you don't want to miss!"
From Daniel Hocutt, President
"Fargo will be fantastic. Lonnie Hass's planning has proven that North Dakota knows how to throw a retreat! And the content of the retreat will be thought-provoking and future-oriented: how shall we address the major national issues facing education, particularly gifted education, as an organization? What is our position on these issues, and how to they affect us on a local level? Our challenge will be to position ourselves as a national voice for gifted education. I hope you will join us. And we have a special treat, too: we will be honoring on of our own for longtime dedicated service to governor's schools and to organization. I can't say more, but I hope you plan to attend!"
April Postcard Mailing
You are invited to Fargo, ND, for the 2003 Biennial Working Retreat of the National Conference of Governor's Schools. Please reserve October 9-12 for the retreat. Our theme is "National Concerns, Local Issues." More information will follow. Visit the retreat Website for all updates.